2 moms + 2 states + 2 jobs = 2 little time

Saturday, March 13, 2010

Kicking it up a notch?

Aww. Rhiannon you are too sweet in that last post! We must be having a lovefest vibe going because I've been thinking about my post all week and YOU are my inspiration for it. Here goes...

Well, it was bound to happen. I just didn't think it would be so soon. After only 5 posts it is very clear who the better photographer around these parts is. And her name doesn't start with an "M"! Actually I've known this for a while and have been ok with it. See, I have a pretty fancy schmancy camera, for me anyways, but I haven't taken the time to actually learn how to use it. I did poke around the manual a bit after I bought it and fooled around with the Aperture setting once but I'm kinda freaked out by it all. So I'm usually shooting in Program mode or *gasp* one of the pre-set function settings. Basically my DSLR is parading around like a normal, everyday "point-and-shoot" camera. I would do better to take a class and have someone teach me basic photography skills than sit around reading the manual. Frankly, I don't have the time or the discipline to learn it on my own. BUT when Rhiannon first mentioned she wanted to start a blog together I knew that she would be just the motivation I needed to improve my photography skills. She has natural skill in this department and a great eye and style for some pretty neat shots. Last year she told me about a site she likes to read that may be helpful for me called Digital Photography School. It has forums, photography challenges and a newsletter with useful tips, product reveiws and so on. A couple days ago one of the contributors reviewed a product that caught my eye called Professor Kobre's Lightscoop. This seemed like something right up my alley. It's a little doohickie you can put on your camera that bounces the light from the flash all over the room and makes your pictures look tons better without any real effort from you, the photographer. I love it! What I don't love about it is, ahem, paying for it. It doesn't look that expensive but it also looks simple enough to copy.

After a short Google search I came across a few templates and decided to drag myself to Michael's for some supplies:1. A 20x30 piece of black press board (I think this is press board. It was with the poster board but it is quite a bit thicker).
2. Foil cardstock.
3. An Exacto knife.
4. A glue stick.

The template I found is from this post on Flickr. I have a Nikon and my flash was slightly different sized so after I cut out the template from the copy paper I made adjustments before I cut out the press board.

This is how it turned out:

And here are some shots.

Without my "lightscoop":


And with it:


Not too shabby. I think I may still make a couple adjustments to my template and make another one. I certainly have enough supplies to make at least a dozen more! The foil packet has some copper colored sheets in it, too, that I may try in place of the silver color to copy the Warming Lightscoop. Oooohhh, getting fancy! So, for less than $12 I can make two (or more) versions of a lightscoop which retails for around $35.

Am I kicking my photography up a notch? Well, that may take a while to decide but I sure am liking my new homemade gadget. :)

Also, in case you're wondering why on Earth I took pictures of that hideous green chair with the stains all over it, it is next on my project list. Hopefully the next time you see this guy, he won't be green!

Happy Weekend.
~Megan

1 comment:

  1. Nice post Megan. You are now officially my idol. I have never made any accessories for my camera. You are ahead of me there. love ya rhi

    ReplyDelete