2 moms + 2 states + 2 jobs = 2 little time

Friday, March 19, 2010

Furlough Friday

Furlough. That's a word I just learned last fall thanks to my being employed by the State of Georgia. Sadly, I'm afraid many people are learning this word or becoming too familiar with salary cuts or lay offs or unemployment. I'm thanking my stars that I still have a job, and though it really upset me at first, now I look forward to having a day off. Today the house finally got some attention, errands were tended to and I had time free for a bit of selfish sewing.


The other day Rhi mentioned she was thinking about her summer "uniform" of simple skirts and tees or tanks. Of course I thought she was brilliant and I decided to scrounge around to find a pattern or tutorial somewhere for an easy skirt. I found one at Sew, Mama, Sew! that they posted last spring. This tutorial is for an elastic waist skirt with a ruffle on bottom. I'm not much of a ruffle girl so I omitted that part and just did a (lazy) rolled hem on the serger.


This fabric is from Amy Butler's Midwest Modern collection and is one of my favorite fabric designs. I've had these in my stash for about 2 years, too scared to cut into them because they're so beautiful. This seemed like the perfect project to use these fabrics on and a great way to spend my day off.


So, what will be part of your summer uniform?

~Megan

6 comments:

  1. I love this skirt - it looks great. I am a big fan of Amy Butler and have this fabric in pink and green. I have never tried sewing clothes before but maybe I will be brave and try a skirt for summer. Knowing my luck though it will be another wet UK summer!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super adorable, Megan! I will be adding an extra ruffle to mine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love skirts, t shirts and flip flops or cute little sandals as a summer uniform!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Megan, did you alter the tutorial for the waistband? It looks like yours extends down the skirt a few inches, instead of just casing the elastic. I love how yours looks... or is it just the fabric? Lemme know!

    :) L

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been looking for an easy skirt and I like your version without the ruffle much better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your skirt fits you so well. I also have a question concerning the waistband. It looks like it is rolled down. I like that look. How did you make that happen? Good job. I too love a uniform of simple skirts and light shirts for summer. You inspired me. epdeans@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete