2 moms + 2 states + 2 jobs = 2 little time

Monday, April 12, 2010

First Sewitng Project

My son Marcus is always wanting to help me with my projects. I love that he shows interest in these things. I get a big kick out of how he can be all about wrestling and football with his friends one minute and the next, he is asking my if he can help me sew.
This coloring book was his first official "all by himself" sewing project, and it was an extra special one. My little brother Sam, passed away January 1st 2009. Marcus and Sam were the best of friends, they spent everyday together. Sam was a great playmate for Marcus growing up, and as Marcus got older, he was a loyal friend to Sam. One of the hardest parts about losing Sam, was knowing that my daughter Maria would not have the same memories or understanding of what an extraordinary person Sam was. I try to make something to celebrate his life and spirit each holiday for my children and the cousins in our family. This Easter we made this simple coloring book. Sam's favorite place to visit was Disney World. If I am correct, had been there 17 or 18 times in 15 years. I used this tutorial to convert some of Sam's Disney photos into coloring book pages.

I cut brown paper bags to make the cover. Marcus sewed right down the center of the pages attaching them to the cover.

This was a great first project for Marcus and great therapy for me.
My brother Sam touched the hearts of everyone he met. My mom has a blog where she shares our many memories of Sam. Although his life was short, he made everyday so special and left us with many beautiful memories.
Happy Remembering
Rhiannon

1 comment:

  1. You are amazing. Thanks for all you do to keep Sammy in the hearts and minds of all our family, especially the little ones.

    ReplyDelete